MV Titles and Registration from GL Re: [MV] Whadda we pay you for ?

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 09:16:53 PDT

At 10:25 AM -0500 5/8/02, Bill Chambers wrote:
>There was a time in the last couple of years where folks were able to get a
>title from Georgia on military vechicles. Anyone familar with the process
>(loophole)? As we are in Texas, it seemed like a nice answer.

Well, you can request a title on a vehicle in Georgia if you like.
But it's not required to do so. If you can register the old thing, I
think you can title it.

http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/forms/index.html

In Georgia, vehicles newer than '86 need title. A '63 through '85
vehicle may be titled if the owner has a title to support his or her
application either issued in their name or properly assigned to
him/her with out a break in the chain of ownership. Title is not
required for '63 or older.

This conflicts with my memory of when I went to get the Ferret
Tagged, I seem to recall the guy at the office asking if I wanted to
get title or not. I said I didn't. I just called the Title/Tag office
help line (took about 30 seconds to get through!!!) and if the
vehicle doesn't have a previous title, then a Bonded Title arranged
through a Bonding Company is required. Still looks easy to me.

Perhaps GL could add such arrangements to it's process of sales? It
would make things far more helpful from the service stand point.
Pre-existing arrangements with certain states on the titling process
would also make the transfer of these vehicles to owners that much
more painless.

David, is there a chance that part of the services that GL offers
would be to handle some of the titling process for the vehicles? When
I bought my British Ferret from Western Resources, Joe provided me
with a TN Title as well as his standard Bill of Sale for the transfer.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -