Sierra depot & buying from pics

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 08:23:11 PDT

Hi Tyson,

My advice would be to not take a chance on just a net pic.  You can get stuck really bad.  Better way is to communicate with the GL guys at the Stockton, CA., office and see if you can get an inspection date.  Phone numbers are on the main GL web site, they control the Sierra Depot and they are over there (Hurlong/Sierra depot) on a regular basis.

No doubt you can find a day that would be good for you to see the vehicles, although it may not necessarily be a posted day.

One of the problems at GL now, is they are trying to do too much with too few people.  Steve, is one of their best people to talk too at Stockton... if you can find him.

Unfortunately, they got Steve running from Stockton to Travis, Stockton to Sierra and sometimes Stockton to Vandenburg!  He is so busy he can hardly stop to eat!  It's really that bad and I know he sometimes has to skip breaks and meals to get his job done, but he's that kind of guy.  But, if you happen to come across him, he will do whatever he can to help you.

However, unless you are prepared for the worst possible scenario when bidding, don't bid off a picture.  You will find 90% of the trucks at Sierra and Stockton are pretty rough, with small parts missing.  You can almost be guaranteed they are truly non-running.  They always have dead or missing batteries, likely the engines haven't turned over in a year or so and will require some "deuce knowlegable" person to do some maintentance/repair before even attempting to start one.  But, having said that, if you get one that is complete, chances are it is a decent runner once it's serviced and started. Maybe a clutch plate or something small like that, always some filters, but that would likely be about it.  Very, very few are sitting there with a bad transmission, engine or rear end. Least this has been my expierence from looking over the past 2 years.

I might as well warn you, the depot you are interested in gets top dollar for pretty rough trucks, running or not.  California is general is super high...however, there is always a chance too many trucks come up at one time, like at Vandenberg recently and you can get a decent one for under $1700.  Moreover, it's too much, like this deuce at Sierra recently brought over $4k and then you got the buyers premium and sales tax, not to mention DMV.  Average deuce that is not junk runs between $2200-3900 out of Stockton/Sierra depots.

Good luck,  Jack Lee