Re: [MV] License required in Ca?

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 19:04:08 PDT

Hi Paul...

>Does anybody know what class of license is required in California to
>operate a Deuce and a half? Or an M543A2 ? My read of the manuals at
>the DMV half a year ago indicated a Class B license was needed... ?

The basic answer is "yes", you do need a Class B to operate an M35A2.

In my case, since mine is more than 25 years old (1971) and it is
registered as a Historic Vehicle, DMV says I cannot take the Class B
driving test in this vehicle because it is technically a car. To me,
this means if I can't take my Class B test in it, I don't need a Class
B to drive it either.

It is a loophole that has specifically been addressed in other states
with laws that exempt registered historic vehicles from special
license requirements for the driver.

If your deuce is not registered as a historic vehicle, then you
probably have to pay road tax each year since it is classified as a
commercial vehicle. In this case you would definitely need a Class B.

You should do what you think is right.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net