Re: [MV] License required in Ca?

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 20:11:11 PDT

Hi Jim:

> If your deuce is not registered as a historic vehicle, then you
> probably have to pay road tax each year since it is classified as a
> commercial vehicle. In this case you would definitely need a Class B.

It depends on how my re-fi appraisal goes <g>
If it goes well, I intend to get a good, solid Deuce. Tho I understand
shipping runs 2 Grand from coast to coast (!!!)
If it goes poorly then I'm probably going to take on a project truck, a
1952 REO Speedwagon Truck the Air Force probably had, then CDF for a few
decades. I can get that for next to nothing, tho it holds no cargo and
needs TLC on every square inch.

I hadn't thought about road taxes: In Ca are they based on the amount
of driving you do, the type of things you haul, or is it a flat tax?
Would you have a general idea what that runs a year, in addition to
registration?
I was fairly shocked to see the last 20 years DMV paperwork on the fire
truck: it IS an historic vehicle... the yearly reg was $27 the last
time it was registered.. about two years ago.

Thanks for your help.

  Paul