Virus threats

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 10:41:56 PDT

I doubt I'm the only one here, but I do and have worked on PCs and
networks for about 12 years. So tongue in cheek I offer the following:

Don't ever worry about an email you receive telling you a world
destroying virus was recently sent to you if they want you to manipulate
files on YOUR computer. We do have to do that sort of stuff if a virus
hits a computer once in a while, but all of the messages I've seen to
date tell you to get rid of files which help either windows or another
program you have function. They are aimed at people who use their
computers instead of build them: normal people.

If you have Norton Antivirus or a similar product, and you update it
regularly ( used to be every few weeks: now I update every week or more
often ) you are about as protected as you can get.

Of note: Instant Messaging, like that used by AOL or Microsoft, is
becoming a favorite area for virus writers to attack. If you have the
2002 version of Norton and a very recent virus definition from them then
again, you're as protected as you can be..

Still, backing up important data is the best protection <g>