Re: [MV] emails from me....and parts needed.

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 06:27:42 PDT

DDoyle9570@aol.com wrote:

> .....I suspect
> someone else's computer has my email address in an address book, and virus is
> picking it up, and sending this cloaking them as mine.

Apologies for replying to this off-topic post, but this is escalating right now
and it might save some people a bit of grief.

David is correct -- the latest round of viruses seem to be plucking names out of
a victim's address book and using those as the 'sender' in forwarding the virus.
If you receive something strange from someone who ought to know better (or whom
you've never heard of), the chances are they're not even aware of their name
being on the email. Before getting mad at them, check the true originating
source by clicking VIEW >> PAGE SOURCE in Netscape (or equivalent in OE or other
clients); the first line in the email should show where this email REALLY came
from:

I've received about 30 of these in the last two weeks, and have been able to pass
a heads-up to several acquaintances who have been unknowingly afflicted.

The people who write these things should be used as track grease.

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~