CUCV Belt Squeal

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 19:26:08 PDT

Well I see it's time I get out my "Wash and Wear" answers again. This is a
commonly asked question that keeps getting asked again and again.

When a CUCV is started, the glow plugs cycle several times off and on to
keep the engine from excessive smoking-blue smoke is unburned diesel fuel.
When the plugs cycle ON, they draw a LOT of current and the alternators will
load down and squeal the belts. This is almost a "normal" condition. The
dash ammeter will move back and forth indicative of this and it seems that
no matter how tight the belts are, they still squeal when the alternators
are loaded with this current draw. LOW COOLANT light remaining on: Your low
coolant sensor on the radiator is most likely the culprit if the light
doesn't go out. If your radiator is full, you virtually have nothing to
worry about unless you have coolant flow problems. (Light has nothing to do
with coolant flow) Next problem: Engine dies when turning a corner. The
only way you can stop a running diesel is to turn off the fuel supply. This
is usually accomplished by the solenoid located inside the injector pump.
When you turn the key to the "OFF" position, the solenoid turns off a fuel
valve inside this pump. The same thing will happen if you have a bad
battery (front one), the terminals are bad, dirty or loose terminals
causing the solenoid valve to drop closed. There is a single connector (I
think green wire) going to the injector pump that when pulled, the engine
will stop. It feeds 12 volts from the ignition switch to that solenoid.
Clean and tight connections are a must here along with healthy batteries.
JULIAN BURKE

> 1984 CUCV, just purchased.
>
> Every now and then, the "Low Coolant" light doesn't go out when I start
the
> engine, but the radiator is full. More disturbing, and looks like getting
> worse is the following. I start the engine, and when raved up a little
one
> of the belts squeels. I noticed that when this happened the volt guage
goes
> between the green and yellow, and there is a click from under the dash
right
> around the steering column. Whenever the needle goes into the yellow on
the
> guage, the engine slows down and if raved, the belt squeels. So I figured
> it is an alternator belt. Today I drove it and it died on me while
getting
> ready to turn to my driveway (lucky I guess). It did start up, but took a
> few good turns of the starter, and pressing the pedal to get it to go.
> (Could the load on one of the alternators draged the rpm so low it cut
off?)