M1009 glowplugs

From: Brian (polaris650_92@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 21:29:10 PDT

Hi,
I'm sorry for hogging all of the advice, I tried to
include the names of all those whose info is listed
below, (A virtual pat on the back, I suppose). Also,
I'm sorry for offending any ford fan, it was never
intended.

Brian

Glow plugs are NOT made of carbon. Carbon is a
conductor of
electricity.
There is a heating coil inside that is potted with
sand. Julian

You'll find several suggestions for removing glow
plugs - some better
than others. If it's a swollen tip, but not broken
off, you can try the
"vise-grip" method. Securely fasten your vise-grips to
the plug, spray
little WD-40 or suitable lubricant into the hole to
provide
lubrication.
If it's not swollen too much, you can sometimes
"unscrew" it, or keep
bumping it back and forth until it comes out. If this
isn't successful,
you'll probably have to break off the tip. Before you
do that, I'd
suggest getting and using a neat glow plug removal
tool made by OTC
(OTC # 6005) which allows you to more gently "unscrew"
the plug using
the tool. They are available from most tool vendors. I
haven't had to
use mine yet, but it appears that it would work as
described.
If the tip has broken off, it's probably still jammed
in the hole
inside
the pre-chamber. That's what happened to me before I
found about the
OTC
tool. If you remove the injector, you can feel the
tip of the plug
with your little finger, and maybe you can see it,
depending on which
cylinder it's in. I tried two ways, one worked and
one didn't I tried
grasping the tip with a pair of angle tip needle nose
pliers, but they
were too big to open wide enough to grasp the plug tip
and then
withdraw it thru the hole. A smaller pair might work,
or if you have a
curved tip medical hemostat (clamp) small enough to go
in the hole.
You
will have to punch the tip out with a small punch or
ice pick, because
it's stuck. Be careful that you hold you finger over
it so it doesn't
fall into the cylinder, because you'll have to remove
the cylinder head
- no fun. If you ease it out, it will be resting on
the lip of the
pre-chamber, above the cylinder. Some grease or other
sticky substance
on you finger may allow you to gently draw it out.
However, what I did that worked was to use a shop
vacuum. I could see
and feel the tip in the pre-chamber. I took a metal
can (one of those
that fuel injector cleaner or octane boosters come
in), cut off the
bottom and stuck this end in my shop vacuum hose. The
smaller end of
the
can goes in the injector hole. Put a filter (I used
a piece of nylon
panty hose) over the end of the hose where it goes
into the vacuum
unit.
Turn on the vacuum and voila!, the suction thru the
glow plug hole will
suck the tip right out. The nylon panty hose filter
traps the tip so
you
know it came out and didn't fall into the cylinder,
or get lost in the
other trash in your vacuum.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but there's no perfect
way to do this.
Just be careful and methodical, so you don't drop the
tip into the
cylinder.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
Joe

We have a removal tool that works really well,
photo here:
http://www.owens-export.com/specials.html

If it falls apart and pieces are trapped inside you
can
try vacuuming them out, blowing out with air or
removing the injector. Worst case you need to remove
the cylinder head.
-
Steve - stevek@owens-export.com

Very simple... remove the injector first...the end of
the glow plug
will be
clearly visible now.. Get hold of it with a pair of
needle nose
pliers..and
with your other hand and a socket on an
extension...break it off..then
just
remove the burst end. Remove the injector first...much
safer.. Gene

Brian I believe some of the HMMWV companies sell a
tool for removing
these. They advertise in MV magazine. I've never
used the tool but
perhaps someone else on the list has