FMTVs and Loose Lips.

From: Graf, John Adams (grafj@krause.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 08:55:37 PDT

Keith in Tenn wrote:
>>>Sorry to nit-pick John, but that's: 101st Airborne (Air Assault). They used to use the "Airmobile" tag but that was Vietnam era.

Now I write again:

Lordy! I should know better! Only excuse I might proffer is the nervousness I feel whenever I mention the 10th Mountain. Grew up calling them the "10th Mountain LIGHT". Every time my Dad heard me say that, I had to pay him a quarter (he having served as an MP in the 10th Mountain in WWII). Believe me, it made me more than skittish! Then, to top it all off, I just became downright confused during the Vietnam period, when the 101st became "Airmobile" and the 1st US Cav became "Air-something!" Being a young war-mongering history geek, I just couldn't keep it straight. Now, as a graying, war-mongering history geek, the same is still true. My throat (and fingers) knot up anytime I have to mention (or write) about the 10th, 101st, or even the 1st US Cav.

But back to the trucks....the fellow with whom I have contact in the 101st, told me last week that his platoon really likes the truck for speed, mobility, and even the minor amount of protection that it offers, but absolutely HATE it because they have to use a ladder to embark or disembark the vehicle! Good gosh...who thought of that one?

Okay, now I will return to my US Army Lineage studies (and please don't mention to my dad that I said "10th Mountain LIGHT". He might be 80-something, but it sure still ticks him off!

John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA