Deuce Top Speed (OH NO, NOT THAT THREAD AGAIN!)

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 08:35:41 PDT

Hi List...

I had a couple of great deuce-related weekends!

The weekend before last, our combat re-enactor's group did a very
authentic series of Vietnam games, with my deuce and fellow lister
Aaron Horrocks' M38A1 (complete with a 50 cal BMG M2) at the center of
the action.

This past weekend, we packed 25 of my son's Cub Scout pack into the
deuce (in parade configuration with the canvas sides rolled up, flags
on the front fenders and the pack's banners on the side) to the Golden
Gate National Cemetery to place flags on graves of our fallen
veterans. The kids seemed to get a lot out of it as we had them read
each name from the headstones as the flags were placed. The
organizers of the event had us park the deuce right up front next to
the grandstands as a prop during the opening speeches.

Later that day we loaded all the pack's camping gear into the deuce
and headed up for a family camp weekend with 50 families in the Cub
Scout pack. The deuce was the centerpiece on Sunday night as we used
the deuce's built-in 6' wide movie screen to show Harry Potter to the
kids (rear-projected from inside the deuce's bed onto the translucent
screen with all the kids sitting around the back of the deuce, with an
amp and speakers in the back of the deuce for the stereo sound). It
was like when you go to a drive in movie with lawn chairs. Everyone
loved it!

On top of that, the kids came over Friday before the flag placement
ceremony and scrubbed down the deuce's paint with rags and Olde
English lemon oil, and the deuce still looks like it has a new paint
job!

Anyway, I really wanted to point you all to a photo I took on 5/15
while I was on my way to pick up props for our Nam game, I noticed
that I was passing up a car in the slow lane, which is an unusual
event for any deuce owner...see how fast my empty deuce went on flat
highway (even if only for a moment):

  http://www.CUCV.net

Take care!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net