Re: [MV] MFTV Stewart Stevensons

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 02:23:32 PDT

At 11:32 PM -0500 5/30/02, Mike and Cheryl wrote:
>Iowa National Guard uses them Saw 5 or more with Trailers
>and Bradley's on back heading south this morning doing 60 or
>65 not getting passed by to many people. A guard guy told us they
>had some problems a while back and had to have some updates to
>the design, but don't remember what they did. They limited the
>weight and speed for a while (if I remember right) until these were
>modified. The early ones had a lot of accidents, like most military
>designs. Looked nice loaded at interstate speeds.

It was a problem in the U-joints that caused vibration at specific speeds.

"Army and contractor officials found that the initial model's drive
line was susceptible to vertical flexing and vibration when the
vehicle was lightly loaded and driven above 50 mph on paved highways
for long distances. Resultant vibration-induced stress on u-joints
connecting the transmission to the drive shaft caused the drive shaft
to break off in three accidents cited, officials said. "

see http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/news/Sep1999/a19990917newtruck.html

--
--
Ryan Gill                 rmgill@mindspring.com
     1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo