Old Body work filling techniques

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 12:00:27 PDT

Joe:
Missed the original e-mail, but think your referring to "Leading In"
Where you heat the surface with a propane torch and add lead to the dent via
a large Lead stick. Then shave it down with large rasps (Files)
I have a spot on my command car that was leaded in.

Eastwood Company sells the kit to do it yourself. Modern bondos actually
have metallic fillers in some of them, and can perform just as well if you
treat the material properly before applying, and seal the top of it once it
dries thoroughly.

Don't waste time on one of those custom shrinking wheels that attaches to a
9" grinder. I bought one at a Pomona Show years ago when prepping to do my
GPW. The metal was too tough for it to do what it promised. I found that
the older heat and shrink method with a torch and wet rag does WONDERS for
getting old dents and the depressions such as too much weight in the rear
floor board areas, etc. It just takes patience and a little practice. Once
you get the hang of it, it really goes quickly for repairing other panels.
No more "oil drum" effects either. It's shrinks right up to original
flatness with some work.

Regards Winget
Hampton, Va.
M151 TOW MUTT, '42 GPW, Cmd Car, M35, DUKW (Dead one), German Halftrack,
Asstd. Artillery.
The web page: http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html