Re: [MV] Judging at Churchville--Response to Amrhein

From: Santoken (santoken@bright.net)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 17:47:16 PDT

"Janet A. Mele" wrote:

> Would like to respond to Mr Amrheins 31 May complaints about judging at the
> Churchville/Aberdeen show.

First off, let me define my credibility, as Ms. Mele has. I have been
in the car business my entire life, practically born and raised in a car
dealership. Currently, I own an auto parts store and own (in the
restoration phase of a '54 XM215). I have never judged a vehicle show,
I have hosted or co-hosted 3 different shows. Also, sometime next year,
an associate and I plan on hosting an MV show here in N. Central Ohio.

I have built 2 classic cars to what I would consider show quality and I
also deem it important to point out that not one of those cars was in
any show while in my ownership. Why? Because of issues like this. In
a judging class, peoples feelings get hurt feeling that their vehicle is
of better show quality than that of the first place winner, etc.

With that said, I feel that it would be considered fair to expect a
better attitude from a judge. I find it offensive that you would
entertain it 'acceptable' to lay, place, or sit anything on anyone's
vehicle. You shouldn't ever lay anything of any type on anyone's
vehicle, MV or otherwise. And then, you defend your actions with "Would
have moved it in a New York microsecond if he complained." It would be
my opinion that the owner of a vehicle should not need to 'complain' to
you about your actions regarding the vehicle.

As far as placing hands on the vehicle, the above applies here. I think
it was said best with the "do not touch" sign and if the judges were
exempt from this. It would seem to me that a "Do not touch" sign would
not allow this to be "Touching is a normal part of this sort of show."
as you put it.

You, of all people, so realize the blood, sweat, tears...and MONEY
involved in these vehicles. I feel that these vehicles should command
the respect that they deserve (and the owners), after all, it is not
your equipment. Would a simple "I'm sorry" have been too much to ask?

Kent Schaffer