vehicle judging

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 21:05:01 PDT

I have read with interest the postings involving judging and the necessity
of touching vehicles to correctly judge them. Without wanting to flame
anyone as I think far too much of this flaming goes on.

I somewhat agree that what vehicle is sets tone as to touching that takes
place. I do not think that anyone judging vehicles would deliberately do
anything to damage them. But will be more careful if they are judging what
they perceive to be a more valuable vehicle.

 And I will be the first to state that I am upset when spectators get in my
vehicle (or anyone's) and proceed to twist knobs and push and pull
switches - let their children jump up and down on seats - worst I ever saw
was at air show when people climbed up and sat on top of canvas cab covers
to watch airshow.

I digress -- My father was old time paint and body man - used lead to fill
dents and bronzed cracks in sheet metal - he taught me that if you want to
check to see if sanded edge is ready to accept paint and to check if paint
is smooth and dents have been filled you should wear cotton gloves - I have
tried it and you can better feel that the edge of where you are sanding
still has need of more sanding for you can feel the edge of old paint - same
for dents. Perhaps if judges were to wear white cotton gloves - you old
GI's will remember white glove inspection.

 I do have some experience in vehicle judging as I am a member of local car
club that hosts car show each year and I have the responsibility as head
judge to handle any questions that come up about vehicle condition. If your
vehicle comes to show in closed trailer and is rolled off and set up for
show it is judged closer than one that was driven to show. We have some
military vehicles at this show and they are treated with same respect that
any show car is. Please do not take this to be volunteering on my part to
judge vehicles at Nat'l show.

Sometimes all that divides first from second place is one small defect that
only an experienced person with this type vehicle would notice.

By the way does anyone know what judges are paid to judge at Nat'l. No
money. They are paid with criticism for their work, and whatever you might
think it is work.

Everette