M35A2 engine problem: Assistance in diagnosis, please?

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 22:16:24 PDT

    Our deuce just developed an engine problem. Hopefully, the list can
figure it out. I'm stumped. It's a 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 with
LDT-465-1C multifuel turbo. We only run Diesel #2 fuel in it.
    History, up until problem occurred: Ran fine. Idled fine. Smooth.
7.9 mpg. One day, it started a little rough, and by mid-day, it was
missing on one or more cylinders. It got home (woo-HOO!) but was missing
worse, and power was way, way down.
    Tests: We cracked open the high pressure input side of each
injector, noting that each one was spurting diesel. Two cylinders, #2
and #4, were odd, in that the engine did not falter, when the injector
feed tube was cracked open. #2 and #4 cylinders are fed by diametrically
opposed output tubes on the injector pump, for what that's worth.
    Substitutions: I obtained a takeout injector (unknown condition) and
installed it in #2 cylinder to see if that part of the problem went
away. No change. I did not move the #2 injector to a known, working
cylinder. We can try that.
    Other attempts: I put some automatic transmission fluid directly in
the fuel filters, in order to get a good, quick flushing of the injector
pump. This advice came from a sage diesel wrench. No change. Engine ran
fine. Couldn't tell the difference, in any way. I put some regular
gasoline in the fuel tank, to about 25% concentration with the existing
#2 diesel fuel. I added the appropriate amount of diesel injector
cleaner to it. Drove it and no change at all. Seemed to make more
racket, though. I noticed that there was a whole lot more smoke than
usual. This increased smoke began roughly with the onset of the trouble,
not when I added gasoline (to hopefully disolve any residues in the
pump, if any).
    Other clues: For some time, we have been hearing a chirping,
whistling sound from the engine. Can't locate it, though. I don't seem
to hear it as much, now. Could it possibly be from a loose head gasket,
that was acting like a reed from a musical instrument, and then blew
out, all the way, lowering my compression to the point that those two
cylinders are not detonating? The exhaust smells and looks like there is
unburnt fuel in it. I'll check the coolant for oil when it cools down.
    Please contact me directly, as I'm on the digest mode. I'll post the
'winning' diagnosis, and add it to my bag of knowledge. We should post
repair tips to some archive, somewhere, sometime. Thanks in advance,
guys. Jim (Seattle area)