Clipboards on fenders

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 09:37:49 PDT

While it is my personal wish that as many people as possible touch and
fondle my green thing...

Maybe that is a confusing beginning...

Seriously, I have watched this debate with some interest. It reflects very
well the "trailer queen vs. mudrunner" debates I have seen in aviation,
vintage motorcycles, and vintage cars. While I tend to agree with those who
favor letting the kids jump all over the trucks, mostly for public image
purposes, we must remember that these vehicles, with very few exceptions,
are PRIVATE PROPERTY. As such, they are subject to the whims and desires of
their owners.

In the Antique Motorcycle Club of America (AMCA), judges are not allowed to
touch the bikes while judging. Why? Some of the bikes they are judging are
worth more than the house I am sitting in writing this email, and I'd assume
that the club does not want to add the exposure due to mis-handling of
PRIVATE PROPERTY to their list of legal problems.

My friend who judges these- some of you may know Robin Markey of Bob's
Indian who usually shows up at the rally- has a real problem with this. He
works on them all the time. It is very difficult for him to not touch them,
and especially when he sees very simple safety problems that he could fix
with the quarter turn of a fastener on a bike. But he has to follow the
rules.

With this in mind, when you put one of these on display, you should be
sensitive that because it is in a public forum, people are going to want to
touch them, for any number of responsible, rational, or irrational reasons.
If you don't want people to touch them, you need to let them know ahead of
time.

I agree with the owner that the judge should have been more responsive to
his complaints, if they were made, about inappropriately touching the
PRIVATE PROPERTY. I am sure the judge doesn't let people defecate in his
living room- it seems that placing the clipboard on the truck was much the
same thing to the owner, and an (experienced, hopefully) group official
should be aware of such things and responsive to them.

All that said, I invite all to come out when I roll out the Indian 741 for
its first test ride with me as a rider at the museum. I'll post the event
here on the web so all can see.

John K. Seidts

1942 Indian 741
1942 Indian 841
1942 Dodge WC53
1942 Dodge WC53
1942 Ford GTBS
1942 Vultee BT13
1943 Checker Cab Water Buffalo
1942 Ben Hur trailer
1943 Ford GPW
1944 Merritt & Keefe E3 generator
1944 Willys MB
deposit on 1945 Stinson L5G still in negotiations