Vehicle competion & judging, Liability insurance crisis

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 00:54:34 PDT

Greetings..I found the debate on vehicle juding to be intersting, with
all sides canvassed. I dont think i could ever enter my "restored" CCKW
into a competition...60yrs of hard abuse are virtually impossible to
disguise.

I try to do the best job I can, but it would take 3 times the cost and
money,
to make the sheetmetal really good in appearance (having said that i would
like NOS
CCKW softcabin side panels) and will keep trying to make it better.

The other thing his that here in Australia there is presently an absolute
crisis
in Public Liability Insurance, that is causing the cancellation of many
public events, due to the collapse of the major public liabilty insurance
company.

Other insurers have withdrawn from the market.
It may surprise the mostly USA listers that NSW AU ranks higher than
ANYWHERE
for litigious action..ie if some fool slips over when drunk in the carpark,
they sue the event organisers for $200,000...lawyers advertise for this
work,
poor people try to rort the system, the courts are stuffed etc.

In the last few months examples of things that are happening.

All the companies that do things like horse riding and kayaking cannot get
insurance..they have to close...high risk medical such
as neurosurgeons, obstetricians, midwives etc are about to strike cause they
cant get insured.

Many, many public events have been cancelled cause PLI costs have increased
manifold.

How does this relate to MVs and judging etc u may ask.
I am wondering why anyone would be bothered to organise events
(much more fraught than just judging)...this is threatening to maim
organised public events in Australia...Is this a big problem in
the USA??

One of the main reasons cited is Insurance company solvency since
events on Sept 11....surely then this must also be afflicting others.

I for one woukd be worried about potential public liablity claims
with all that dangerous old iron about, there just wont be as many
vehicle shows as there are now.

                        tony