Re: [MV] M37

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 18:31:53 PDT

Everette, helllo:

You wrote;
>>I have come to conclusion that perhaps starter is drawing so much current
turn engine over there is nothing left to fire it with.

Then check it with the Lil' lady.
She operates the starter easy job for a woman, eh !

You pull the hight tension lead from the coil to the distrib. You should
see multiple sparks.
Hold the HT lead well back from the end andchexk the sparks ...throw
/lenghtr.
Start 3/4 inch away from the block and slowly move the HT lead closer until
you see a regular spark... or non at all. Keep moving closer if there
"appears to be no spark at all. In fact if you dont see a spark... move the
lead about 1.32nd away from the block ! Then again, 1/64th. Then virtually
no wider than a pubic hair. or less
Now here's the important part. If you see multiple teeny weeny sparks when
the HT lead is virtually touching the block... this can often mean that the
capacitor is bad. or, not charging and discharging normally.

I would try the spark test first.
Next clean and gap the points
And start the test all over.

Next test,
 if still no spark, then run a Low tension wire direct from the battery to
the terminal on the coil. The terminal is the one that does NOT run to the
points.
The above test will tell you if you have an weak "wire connector" - high
resistance in the Ign circuit... or a bad Ign switch... or a bad ballast
resistor, if you have one?

If you get a do see a "decent fat spark" then look for retarded or slipped
Ign. timing.
After these two tests, quickly feel ALL Large heavy current wires from the
battery, solenoid or switch.
Feel these connection points to feel oif ANY is warmer that all the others.
If so, a possible high resistance joint in the starter circuit.
I personly don't think that this "high amperage circuit" is the problem
though.

You mentioned black smoke after a "pull" then ist does sound like you have
Fuel O' Plenty.

My first guesses are Ign Timing or coil/condensor/points
As an experience, try this test some time !
Run an old engine and turn the ditributor completely off timing. Make sure
it still runs though. Now stop the engine and presto ! It probably wont
start .

If you mis-time it... to the advance direction, it may backfire through the
carb??
If you retard the distributor the symton is poof ! Generally Nothing.
Sort of like a priest... with a droopy septor????
That test reminds me that you have continuos turnover when you tow the damm
thing in any reasonably "close Ign setting" the towing will help the engine
to fire and run

Well my Finners n eyes are tired.
So long for now from,
Aussie Rob