Re: [MV] Hot Floorboard in M35

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 20:15:11 PDT

Hi Robert...

>I have an M35A2C with a Continental LDT-465-1C Multifuel engine. On a
>recent 45 mile outing ona 90+degree day I noticed that the floorboard
>are in the drivers side(don't know about the passenger side) was getting
>really warm, to the point of being uncomfortable. The temp guage was
>showing about 180 degrees with good oil pressure. I was traveling at
>speeds from 50 to 55 almost the whole trip. Is this normal due the lose
>proximity ro the large chunk of steel called the engine block if so can
>any insulation be put in place to lessen the heat. If there is a
>possible problem, please let me know also.

It isn't a problem...that's the way they are. Once a deuce heats up
and the heat finally transfers from the engine to the transmission and
other undercarriage components, it really heats up the air under
there, and as a result, the floor gets hot.

I am considering putting down the same viscoelastic sound deadening
material such as I mentioned I will use on my M1007 in my last message
("http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html") but this time for heat
insulation instead of sound, and putting rubber mats over the top. I
am alternately considering applying the material to the bottom side of
the floor panels so I will retain the steel floor and not have ugly
black rubber. Either of these applications should keep the heat out.
Also, be sure to check all the openings that lead from your engine
compartment and under the floorboards into the cab. The brake door
flap, shifter boot, and any other openings that are not sealed will
allow hot air to stream in from under the truck. This is NICE in the
winter, but very fatiguing in the summer after a 300 or 400 mile
drive. I know...I do this almost every month year around.

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net