DUKW / Weasel / Armored craft compass mounting bracket

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 02:58:42 PDT

I'm getting a few more bronze Pioneer Compass mounting brackets cast, the
bigger, outer bracket.
This is the ARMORED CRAFT PIONEER COMPASS MOUNTING BRACKET, used on the
DUKW as;
GM-2187263, BRACKET, MOUNTING, PIONEER COMPASS.
and on the M29 Weasel as;
SD--902266, BRACKET, COMPASS SUPPORT (BRONZE) ALLIANCE BRASS AND BRONZE.
It is technically correct for any DUKW hull up to 14779 but could be
fitted to any DUKW.
Similarly it is correct for any M29 but can be fitted to any M29C with the
four support bolts under the front deck.
These will fit the Pioneer Bendix type 1830 Compass only (the full black
box - not just the aircraft type round center) and they will be US$ 55 per
casting plus about US$ 45 for airmail postage and packing to the US (since
they weigh almost six pounds and airmail postage is a ripoff - surface
freight not much better) Finishing will involve drilling eight holes,
priming and painting, plus for the DUKW you need two wooden wedges to hold
it off the dash where it mounts across the wiper air supply tube. I'll
stamp the SD or GM part number if requested and I can supply a copy of the
212-10B compass manual too.
Don't ask to buy the bracket if you don't already have an 1830 lying
somewhere you can't use - the supply of compasses has virtually dried up
and I don't even have one myself.
If anyone wants to trade I'll supply two mounting brackets for one usable
compass.
for photos, see;

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=183912&article=283
Gordon