Re: [MV] M35 brake advise needed TONIGHT

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 19:04:17 PDT

Hi Joe...

>It takes a great deal of effort to stop my truck. The pedal does not bottom
>out, it just takes all the effort I can muster to stop. I suspect the air
>assist is not working properly.

Try this test (CAREFULLY!!!):

Climb under your deuce and open the drain valve on both of your air
tanks, and let out all the air.

Leave the air valves open, then (CAREFULLY) start up your deuce and
drive a short distance and try the brakes with zero air pressure. If
the feel the same as they did with full air pressure, then the problem
is probably your air pack.

If the brakes are a LOT worse or even non-existant with zero air
pressure, the problem is NOT your air pack.

As I mentioned, be very careful with this test. In my case, it turned
out that when I did this test I had literally no brakes and had to let
the truck slow down on its own and use the emergency brake.

You might want to pull off one of your front brake drums and have a
look at the brake shoes. Again in my case, the drums were soaked with
gear oil from a bad seal which was lubricating the shoes against the
drum.

>Do I need to replace this air cylinder. I called Memphis trucks today and
>ordered some oil filters. The guy there told me the air assist is $350 for
>a rebuild one, with exchange. A kit to rebuild it is $50 but he said it is
>hard to do and I would be wasting $50.

Coincidentally, this month's Military Vehicles magazine (Issue #91,
June 2002) has an article on how to put that very rebuild kit to good
use and install it correctly. I have talked to several people who
have installed the kits and had them work just fine.

Just my opinions.

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net