Re: [MV] Chieftain & Ferret maintenance

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 20:22:53 PDT

At 10:21 PM -0400 6/16/02, Cav43rdBn@aol.com wrote:

>(A friend of mine not on-list was looking at some website
>the other evening, and was drooling over a Chieftain. Any
>problems with Chieftains, other than the powerpack, that
>make them fussy to a collector?)

They drink a bloody s**tload of petrol every time you crank them up?

>For me: I'd love to have a Sherman, but doubt I'll ever have
>that kind of $$ to spend on a big toy, so I'm thinking a
>Ferret is more in line. Is there a lister in the Northern VA
>area who has one that I could look at closely? Maybe give
>me pointers in what to look for, in looking at a vehicle to
>buy (what to avoid, etc...)

Take a look at http://www.ferret.simonides.org. There is a list
associated with it that is called Ferret Heaven. Check Jim's (Ferret
Heaven's web site owner) links page for Doug's page, there are a
number of accounts of owning and buying Ferrets.

All in all, they are fun yet still a bunch of work and maintenance.
As a piece of armor that you can drive on the road they are amazingly
fun. I sometimes take 00DA61 out on errands, however, I have to plan
on an extra hour around the trips due to the "whats that, is that
legal, where's the gun, how much did that cost, do the cops stop you
much" types of questions

--
--
Ryan Gill                 rmgill@mindspring.com
     1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo