[MV] M1009 axle ?

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 05:25:59 PDT

Regarding the Blazer CUCV:

Is there an inherent weakness in the
rear axle housing on the M-1009 ?

Took a passing look at my wife's 1009 the other day and it appears
that the axle tubes curve, like a mild "U", from backing plate to backing
plate.

The other day saw another 1009, sure enough, it curves as well.
I can't say that this is good, but is this normal for them
and how much is bad? I know the ideal is non.

Guessing the rigs had to be overloaded. Can't be good for those
splines.

For a comparison, I measured my M-715's rear axle.
Besides looking it, it measured straight.

FYI: I used a laser to supply a straight edge and measured from the bottom
of the axle tube to the beam.

Thanks all!

Ted H.