Re: [MV] M1009 axle ?

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 05:59:15 PDT

Ted,
    The axles in the M1009 are standard 1/2-ton GM 10-bolts. They are a good
1/2-ton axle, but the tubes are not fully welded around the center section,
and the center section is not the strongest. If the truck was ever severely
loaded and driven off-road much, it is possible that the tubes are slightly
bent or the center section (where the tubes are pressed in)is weak. I had a
1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy truck that often got heavily loaded, but never noticed a
"U" shape in the axle. Granted, I never really measured it, and I eventually
replaced the axles with 3/4-ton parts (same front axle, but a 14-bolt FF
rear and 8 lug wheels), so I can't say for sure.
    I cannot remember for sure about the 10-bolts, but typically, 4x4 rear
axle tubes are not made of the same thickness tubing as the front axle. The
front axle is usually designed heavier to take the pounding of potholes and
bumps against the weight of the vehicle at speed. You can always upgrade it
to a 14-bolt semi-floating axle from a 3/4-ton pickup, but that would
probably entail a gear swap, too. I don't think many 3/4-tons came with
3.08:1 gears. However, they were available with a 6-lug pattern in certain
"light duty" 3/4 tons in the mid-late 80's, so your wheels would still work.
Just a thought.

    --Neil