Re: Brake Fluid

From: Keith Markeson (kmarkeso@chartermi.net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 12:36:17 PDT

GOTAM35 was right on about water being soluble in DOT 4 and below and not in
DOT 5, and unfortunately there is no visual way of telling the fluids apart.
The only thing that you can tell visually is if the fluid is brown and gooky
then it is contaminated and needs to be completely changed. If I was to
replace the fluid in my truck I would use DOT 5 because it is silicone based
(which is what the military fluid is) and it doesn't eat paint like the
older fluids.

You can't mix the fluids for use, but if you soak up all the remaining fluid
in the master cylinder (with paper towels or rags) to get it as empty as
possible then fill it with DOT 5. Then bleed the system starting with the
wheel farthest from the master cylinder and working your way closer to the
master cylinder. This will effectively "exchange" the fluid in the system
and will not harm the rubber parts.

---