Re: [MV] M151A2 wheel cylinders

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 13:27:22 PDT

  Without pressure in the system I don't
> believe opening a nut on a wheel will get me enough fluid to try to
> identify the type...

I just read your email and went to experiment on my fluid (that didn't sound
right). I dipped a paper towel in each fluid, the dot 3 and the alleged dot
5, and then dipped each piece in a cup of water. The dot 3 had no change to
the water or paper towel. The dot 5, after dipping it several times,
released a little of the fluid into the water. It did not dissolve into the
water. It beaded up on top.

I don't know if that will help, but maybe if you crack a line you can get
enough out to do a little experiment of your own. Make sure you have some
dot 3 to compare it to. I would suggest you get some dot 5 to compare to,
but the quart I bought was $25. That stuff is expensive.

If you can't get any fluid out, go put on you best white shirt and crawl
under the vehicle. Oil, grease, brake fluid and dirt are all attracted to
clean clothes.

Joe.