Re: [MV] Ferret Service Life?

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 19:55:35 PDT

Response to CAV-43rdBn...

As I recall the Ferret first went into production about 1952 and was finally replaced (as if it ever could be)in 1971. I believed it saw service up to about 1985, a few may have lingered on in one capacity or another for another 5-6 years, but pretty sure none were in service, least in the UK, after 1993.

Various designs ranged from an open top design to a .30 cal stuck in the turret to replacement of the turret with a missile platform for the Vigilant ATGW. The basic designation was the FV701, but there were a number of mark units, Mk 1, Mk2, Mk 2/3, Mk 2/6, etc. All had the R-R B60 engine and Wilson fluid coupler.

About 4,400 units were produced and a number of mainstream nations requested them. It's my understanding that Thailand and India are still using them with turbo deisel engines. I'm not sure about any "backwater countries"...would think the Ferret would be too good for them.

Great little vehicle for it's time and purpose;likely the best vehicle ever built for it's specific task, that being a tough but nimble and reliable scout.

Fabulous little vehicle, good armour and fun to drive too.

Jack