Re: [MV] Armored Weasel??

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 23:56:12 PDT

Frank,

>I have a friend who owns an M29 weasel and the body is as thin as my
>DUKW. BB gun resistant perhaps, but certainly nothing of larger caliber.

I believe the whole hull is made out of 20 gage steel. I don't even
think that would stop a 22 shot fairly close up and straight on. I think
the pintel hitch is the most likely piece to offer protection. Of
course, not very much protection :-)

BTW, there is one account of a Weasel being hit with a German Panzerfaust
(probably a PF60). For those of you who do not know, this weapon was
capable of knocking out just about any tank in WWII from pretty much any
facing and angle. Picture someone shooting a Jeep with a howitzer and
you will instantly realize what overkill this shot was!

Now... I will say that I have seen a picture of someone who made a Weasel
look sorta like a M113/M114, including .50 cal ringmount. But this was
all sheetmetal and/or plywood for sure. Someone wanted to have a piece
of armor without having a piece of armor. It is possible Jerry's guy saw
this picture and took it literally.

Steve