Re: [MV] M-715 QUESTIONS

From: Jim & Pat Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 16:33:11 PDT

Hi Mike,

Check the exhaust manifold for cracks. Folks tend to over tighten the nuts
and that causes them to crack manifolds. The manifolds are scarce as
"hen's teeth" and pricey if you can find them. Their was an article on
this in one of the military maintenance magazines from years ago. I had to
replace the timing cover on my M-715's engine as it was used on a salty
beach and it rotted out the aluminum casting. I have not had much trouble
with the engine for all of the warnings I have heard. It had a crack in
the valve seat when I got it and when I had the head re-worked that was
welded up and re-machined. It has been reliable (even if it is sort of
under powered) and has given me no trouble to speak of.

good luck,

Jim (KB4IVH)
MVPA #17216