Re: [MV] Fw: Basic M35 info- Now Silicone vs regular fluid

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 21:31:28 PDT

Aaaahhhh... my understanding was that all master cylinders were vented to
the atomosphere. I believe that as the shoes (or pads) wear down, the master
cylinder fluid level will decrease because the slave cylinders will now have
more fluid in them. Nature abhors a vacuum as do braking systems. If you
actually had a non-vented cap, the vacuum would attempt to suck the fluid in
the wrong direction. (Or at least resist the piston) If you look at a
civilian master cylinder, modern ones are vented and have a rubber diaphragm
between the atmosphere and the air above the fluid.
The military vents normally come straight up then have a 180 degree bend
downwards, which allows them to be completely submerged without water
entering the system.
I may be wrong, but has anyone else a better explanation why master
cylinders are vented? Please share it with us all.
-Sarge

Subject: Re: [MV] Fw: Basic M35 info- Now Silicone vs regular fluid