Re: [MV] Fw: Basic M35 info- Now Silicone vs regular fluid

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 16:14:52 PDT

I agree that if oxygen can't get to the water (sealed system), then the only way corrosion of the iron brake part could occur is if the water molecules (H20) split
allowing the oxygen atoms to combine with the iron to form iron oxide. (rust) I don't believe that oxygen flows very freely through silicone fluid, so where does
the corrosion (if any) come from.

The other magazine articles I have read regarding silicone brake fluid have said that it was used for two purposes, allow the brakes to run hotter without fade
caused by fluid boiling, and the elimination of corrosion.

Dave