Got my Year of Manufacture Tag on my jeep!

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 14:18:03 PDT

Howdy,
        Here in Georgia, if your vehicle is 1957 or older, you can display an
original year of manufacture Georgia tag instead of the current tag.
        A friend of mine picked up an original 1944 Georgia tag for me at a car
show. Neat thing is, it's about half height due to the metal shortages &
rationing.
         I took it to the Tag Office today. After some initial problems (DMV tech
support said the law was revoked allowing only 1942 or older...they were
wrong) the nice lady at the Tag Office was able to get the tag registered
with my vehicle. She even called me about 15 minutes ago to tell me the
final paperwork was in the mail & to apologize for any inconvenience in the
mixup! (I told her no problem & thanks for being so easy to work with!) All
that & she also fixed the registration so it properly shows 1944 instead of
1946!
        So, when my 1944 jeep is finished (hopefully Sunday), I'll be able to
display the original tag, with the modern tag in the glove box! ...and
we've already got a 1950 tag for my wife's CJV-35/U! (Ok, I know it's a
civilian tag on a military vehicle, but it's a heck of a lot better than a
modern license plate!)
        Just glad it wasn't the horror story I hear from guys in other states! All
this & some of the cheapest gas in the US! =^)

Later,
Brian Mead
Griffin, Georgia