Re: [MV] m37 piston numbering / timing

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 13:52:00 PDT

#1 is always at the front.

>What is the firing order?

That should be cast into the head or the manifold or pressed into the
rocker cover.

>also, I take out the spark plugs but I can't see the pistons. How do you
>know when the first piston is at TDC?

Length of coathanger wire can be bent into just the right shape, no? Rough
TDC position can be determined by splitting the distance between 'end of
blow' and 'beginning of suck' when putting your thumb in #1 sparkplug
hole. Then use the wire to get it exact.

>if anyone has any .pdf documentation or such that could help explain how
>to time the engine, that would help too,

Get a temporary control cable set up to turn the distributor thru about a
20 degree range either side of what you initially believe to be the sweet
spot. Then warm up and try to climb a typical steep hill. As you are into
the climb, adjust the cable for best power/ smoothest operation. Leave it
there as you drive home and then clamp it down. It should be correct as
long as the advance weights/mechanism is working ok. Engine should start
up cold and run to normal temp without overheating or pinging. If it
overheats then back off a few degrees. This works on any carb/points
ignition vehicle. Big 'ol badass bikes had the same kind of cable-operated
distributors. You could backfire at will . . .

> but any info is of great
>assistance.

>Thanks!
>Blue

You just gotta get this cd: "Tech & Field Manuals, 3/4 Ton Vehicles" CD
#1- 077421-1 - Military Media Productions.

My copy was mailed from the US but has a German return address. I believe
it was offered on this List recently, but I can't remember where I saw the
offer. Maybe someone has the details.

Cosmo Lean

~~~~