Re: [MV] m37 piston numbering / timing

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 18:15:01 PDT

If I recall correctly, the firing order on most inline sixes is 153624.
Most engines have a timing pointer located over the front damper
pulley. Line the TDC mark on the pulley with the pointer when #1 is
on the compression stroke. I forget the distributor's rotation. If you
don't know, remove the cap and crank the engine over a few times
in order to determine rotation. Make sure that the rotor is pointing
to #1 on the distributor cap when the timing marks are lined up.
Set the final timing to spec with a timing light. Prior to getting a
timing light, I used a method similar to Cosmo Lean's.
Joe Young