M37

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 18:39:21 PDT

I wouldn't know a M37 from a M-16, but...
Dead stick timing is what it's called. Every straight six I know of is
153624. However, not
all are timed at front/ #1, although yours appears to be. IHC is one of
the weird ones.
  Anyway, Set timing for best performance without any overheating or
ping. If it's an
oldie mopar six, the timing marks are just about impossible to lose. You
may have to clean things down there to see the marks.
  Another way to time without timing mark help
is with the good ol' vacuum gauge. Assuming engine starts, connect vac
guuge to intake manifold vacuum and slowly advance timing
to see if vac increases. Poor vac is 16" or below, ggod vac is 19" and
above. Once you
have max vac, back off timing just a little and test drive. Adjust ping
out if it occurs (too advanced).
  It's very important to see if centrifugal and vacuum advance on dist
are working properly.
This really takes a timing light. Remove vac
advance line and start engine. If you don't
have timing marks, stop engine, remove
#1 OR #6 plug (they're at the same place in cyl
wall height, but not same place in 4-cycle).
Bring either piston to top dead center, make marks on engine dampner and
timing cover.
  Restart engine and check timing at idle. Rev up to about 2000 RPM and
now check timing.
Better have 15 or so MORE degrees than before. Reconnect vac advance
line and restart. At that same 2000 RPM, perhaps
now 30 extra degrees total?
  Good luck!
Don Kenyon
Master Automotive Technician