Rocks In Duals on Deuce...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 11:02:45 PDT

Hi List...

It seems that every time I go rock crawling in my deuce with 20 fully
geared up and armed troops in the back (like I did this weekend) I end
up with a big rock jammed in between a pair of the duals.

This weekend the rock was very stubborn, and we (thanks Aaron and
Steve) had to drive the deuce up on another rock and air down the
tire.

One time I failed to check for rocks, and when I got back on the
feeder highway I heard this tremendous crash noise...it was a rock
working loose and striking the underside of the deuce's cargo bed! I
thank jebus it didn't fly out and hit the windshield of a following
car!

Anyway, my questions are two:

  1. Do you other list deuce drivers have this same problem when you
go off roading in rocks?

  2. Is there any practical way to avoid rocks getting jammed into
the tire gap like this?

Thanks!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net