Re:[MV] A Mystery

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 03:14:52 PDT

Wayne,
You could be right about the flat spots. If your trailer is like trucks
I've been getting out of GL, it probably sat for a long, long time. I
have been pulling batteries dated 1991 and 1992 out of deuces.
6TL batteries do not last ten years, usually three, so it's obvious
that the trucks were sitting for a long time. One problem with
aging tires is the flap. They develop a split where the valve stem
opening is in the wheel and this split ruptures the tube. Also,
someone may have inadvertently left the folded new flap in the
tires when they mounted them. I've seen this before. Another
possible problem is that the brakes might be dragging. Did you
happen to notice if the drums were hot? My civilian Blazer once
developed an intermittent serious shake/vibration. It was on our
first outing with it and when the problem started the first thing I
checked was the lugs, but they were all tight. As it turned out,
I had applied the parking brake, which activates the rear axle
brake shoes, and the cable hung up. I never dreamed that the
vibration could be caused by the brakes, but it did.
Thanks to all who responded with suggestions concerning my
M35A2 transmission problem. I'm going out in a little while to
take the truck for another test drive, plus look at the areas of
possible caused that were suggested to me. Once we locate
and fix the problem, I'll post a full report to the List.
Joe Young
www.joeyoung.com