Date of early MB Motor Block help needed.

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 19:28:50 PDT

Gentlemen, I would like some help in puting a date of maunufacture on an
early MB motor block I have. The serial number is MB 104371, and I know
that's pretty early in the production, most likely in the slat grill
production run, but exactly how early?? The markings on the passenger side
are as follows

10-20 638632 W1 A NI - CR N2
                        (one) (faint in circle) (letter i)

I have looked at the normal break points and see no problems. I'll take it
to a motor shop tomorrow and have them vat clean it and magna-flux the block.
 Your help in determining the date would be appreciated, as well as an
approximate value, as I may let it go to a new home.

Thanks, Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama