WW2 jeep starter problem

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 16:26:22 PDT

Howdy guys & gals,
        I've just about go my 1944 MB finished & ran into a "slight" snag. My
restoration has been just cosmetic. I didn't touch the
engine/transmission/transfer case at all. The engine in it now is a CJ2A
engine. (I've got a parts vehicle that I'm going to rebuild the drivetrain
for this one someday.
        I filled all the fluids, checked to make sure I had a full charge on the
battery & then went to fire her up. I tried about 8-10 times, only
getting about 1/2 a rotation out of the starter.(incrementally getting a
little less out of the starter each time...now that I think about it) I
decided not to burn up the starter so I let it sit an hour or so before I
tried again. When I went back, I got the same thing once, then nothing.
        So, I figure the starter finally died. (I seem to remember being concerned
about the condition of the starter last year, but can't remember why)
Here's what I found from running the voltmeter on it. Putting the
voltmeter on the 2 battery contacts, I get 6 volts. With the key on, I get
6 volts at the coil (negative lead on the battery(-) ). When you press the
starter pedal, I get about 3 volts at the coil and 3 volts at the starter
(negative lead on the batter (-) ). Is that right? If it is, can I assume
the starter is toast?
        I'm thinking I'll need to pull the starter & get it rebuilt, but wanted to
know if there was any more diagnosing I can do before that?
        Thanks for any help y'all can give me & thanks again for all the help in
the past.

Brian Mead
Griffin, Ga