M1009 noise in gear

From: Timothy Alvin Parker (taparker@atlantic.net)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 18:19:34 PDT

I drove my CUCV from FLA to AZ recently and had a vibration-type noise
start on the way back. It sounded like something loose in the
transmission,...I even stopped to look under the truck in LA and found a
pair of vicegrip pliers still holding the nut from when I tightened the
console I built before I left,...3000 miles ago... So when I got home
and serviced the tranny,...no problem! Then taking the flywheel dust
cover off I found the ring gear just a little loose and hitting the
flywheel dust cover,...tighten bolts finish problem.
It mostly vibrated when accelerating.