Re: [MV] Radio telephone, what is it?

From: Jim & Pat Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 16:37:37 PDT

Hi Jack and list;

I'm not that familiar with the old radio-telephone system but I think it
was just a duplex radio that transmitted and recieved simultaneously via
split frequency pairs, kind of like the present 2 meter radios working
through a repeater. Back in the 70's, when I first saw them up close, they
contacted mobile operators similar to the marine operators, who connected
the caller to land line through a switchboard. They were the predecessors
to today's cell phones and repeater phone patches.

Look over the battery pack and see what amp hour rating it is. You will
want to charge it at about 1/10th its rated amp hour output as a general
rule. I would advise against the inverter hookup until you find out what
voltage the unit is supposed to run off. Icom made some handheld radios
that ran off up to 10 vdc but not 12 vdc. If it is 13 vdc that's close
enough for government work. 8^)

Good luck with the project,
Jim (KB4IVH)

Not a radio expert by any stretch of the imagination...but an enthusiast
none the less!