FMTV M1078 vs The Deuce

From: BRANDSTEDT@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 05:07:04 PDT

I'm a deuce fan.
So, fellow deuce fans, how about a discussion of the features, or
non-features, of the 2-1/2 ton 4x4 that is replacing the old deuce. It's the
cab-over delivery truck made by Stewart & Stevenson in Texas. The Army is
paying some $150,000/ea for them, but what are they getting?
Imagine driving through the woods with this thing pushing trees down with the
windshield! Of course, the multiplexed, computerized, multifunction high
reliability, diagnostics system will inform the operator by flashing a light
when the windshield wipers disappear.
I don't want to offend the people at Stewart & Stevenson by criticizing a
fine product, which, I'm sure, is the result of zillions of hours of good
engineering, but why are so many proven features left out? Was it because the
Army didn't ask for them? How easy we forget.

Now, the USMC 5-ton replacement, the "MK", by Oshkosh, that's a Truck!

Cheers
Bjorn
'68 deuce w/HIAB crane
'53 M37 (my son's)