Re: [MV] FMTV M1078 vs The Deuce

From: Ron (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 06:09:36 PDT

>I don't want to offend the people at Stewart & Stevenson by criticizing a
> fine product, which, I'm sure, is the result of zillions of hours of good
> engineering,

    ROFLMAO...... "fine product"...Too bad it wasn't true.... The Austrians
spent some time on the specs, SS only spent time translating the drawings
and converting metric figures to English standard after the Austrians
bailed. The Army approved the design for production while "the hand built
by Austrian workers and imported to the US prototypes" were still failing
the testing program.
    Yep, a gold plated goat rope by any definition. It would almost be
humorous if OUR troops weren't the receivers of this "EXCELLENT" example of
'American' engineering and purchasing ability. Maybe it will go the way of
the M715 and M880 series and be released for surplus in 7 years of service
or less because of the outstanding test and development program. Who will be
the next big winner....KIA?

    Read the whole sorry story at the GAO site....the first report of
November 98 at http://www.gao.gov/archive/1999/ns99028.pdf

    and the second report of Jan 99 at
http://www.gao.gov/archive/1999/ns99026.pdf .Your Government at work.

Ronzo