Re: [MV] other than 20th century MVs

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 09:27:26 PDT

Bill,
I know what you're going thru. =^) "But they're all green, that's so
boring!" =^)

I do know guys who collect Civil War, Mexican War, and Indian War
saddles. There were quite a few variants thru the years of horse
cavalry. I have a reproduction M1859 McClellan Saddle. Check out
www.fburgess.com to see some of the 19th & 20th century saddles. Also,
even though it's not as popular as in 1976, there's still Rev War
reenactors out there who use repro & restored saddles.

Pamplin park, in Virginia, had a reproduction made of the Federal Supply
Wagon that is on display at the Atlanta History Center. There are also
many CW Artillery units out there who use horse drawn artillery pieces.

There's also an Army Navy Store here in Atlanta that has a Swiss Ammo Wagon
for sale. It was pulled with one or two Halflinger Draft Ponies. It's
quite the cool wagon. It's got a split axle in back so the load can be
centered between the wheels. The front axle is undercut (I think that's
what it's called) so the wagon can turn sharper than the old style farm
wagons. It also has serious brakes...for in the alps! And pioneer tools
mounted on the side. The shafts are removeable. You can use 2 shafts w/
one pony between the shafts, or one shaft with a pony on each side.

I've also seen pictures from Beltring of horse drawn German field kitchens,
wagons, and pack saddles.

Later,
Brian Mead
http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com