Re: [MV] M 51 vs. M 817?

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 09:39:51 PDT

I have an M51 gas and it works fine for hauling just about anything that will fit in the box. If I could afford it I would get the newest non-multifuel engined 800
or 900 series truck I could afford, however the newer trucks cost a lot to buy. The diesels get considerable better MPG but at a cost. If you are only going
to drive it 1000 miles per year then I think the M51 gasser is hard to beat. Parts are available and cheap. If you are going to drive it 15,000 miles per year go
with the newest diesel rig you can afford since fuel cost will be considerably cheaper. The M51 which I have is rated for 30,000 lbs towed load on the road
and I think that is probably the most I'd want to tow without more hp. The gas engine is about 200 hp.

For me the M51 gasser is a simple and cheap solution. It gets about 4 -5 mpg empty and probably 3-4 heavily loaded.

Dave