Fw: [MV] generator reccomendation question

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 19:53:07 PDT

> From: "Joe Foley"
>
> > WRONG!!!
> >
> > You do NOT want to do that!
> >
> > Electric welders and gensets don't get along well at
> > all. Why? Well,....... the reverse EMF caused when
> > breaking the arc will blow the diodes in the rotor
> > circuit.
> >
> > Ask me how I know! C'mon, ask.

 I just gotta comment on the welder issue. I am as cheap as anyone and I
have used a great deal of portable gas and diesel power welders. A few
 years back I bought a 16 hp gas welder with a 8000 watt generator. About 5
 different manufacturers make the same basic model. New it was only about
 $2200. Used is even less. It is hard to beat that for a 200 + amp AC/DC
 welder with a generator that big to boot. I'm new to the military surplus
 market so it may be a better way to go in surplus equipment. But just for
 the record the welder I have mentioned is:
 Light weight (700 pounds)
 Easy to use and have repaired
Easy to run your house off of (I plug the 230 Volt 40 Amp plug into my
 house)
 Cheap (at least in my opinion)

 If any one is interested in more info (sounds like I sell them don't it)
 contact me off list. I don't want to use up too much time on here but I
 have been really pleased with there performance.

 And yes I use it to weld on my M35.

Joe Trapp
 Weldin' Fool