Gillespie Paint Problem

From: John Rozell (jrozell@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 14:26:27 PDT

Calling all paint experts:
I am restoring a Marine Corps mule and am painting it in Gillespie 24052
Semi-Gloss U.S.M.C. Forest Green. After bead blasting the steel parts,
spraying on red oxide primer, then the Forest green, I have discovered
that the paint is not sticking very well. In fact, I can scrape it off
easily with a steel rule. Rats!
What I would like to find out is what did I do wrong? After bead
blasting, I wiped off the parts with lacquer thinner and used a good
quality (I thought) automotive red oxide primer made by Sherwin
Williams. I had run out of the Gillispie red oxide primer so is this
where I went wrong?
I would like to hear from you guys that have used the Rapco paint and
find out if there are any special tips to avoid repeating my mistake.
Oh, well, back to the blast cabinet......

John Rozell