Re: [MV] Pinz vs. Valp thread... It's War!

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 08:26:26 PDT

Hi Ryan,

>Unless you're in another Daimler vehicle with a Wilson Preselector
>Epicylcic gear box (say that fast 5 times). At re-enacting events I
>have fun driving the Dingo backwards for people.
> Zip down a road, preselect 1st, *Oooh...look! Germans!* nail
>the brakes hard (they're already holding on for dear life).

A little known fact is that most (all?) of the various German WWII
armored cars did one better than this... they had a rear facing driver
position manned by a dedicated driver. So when they drove down a road
and saw the Brits they would slam on the brakes (giggle <g>), then have
the rear driver take over control of the vehicle.

Considering that the main role of an armored car is to stumble upon
something, then leave faster than you got there, the double driver design
was a real asset. I am pretty sure the massive post war German armored
car, the Lynx (Luchs), also had this feature. Anybody know if this was
duplicated by any other nation at any other time?

Steve

P.S. The Dingo is a personal favorite of mine :-)