Re: [MV] Displaying Horses at MV Shows

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 06:57:37 PDT

At Mid Atlantic Air Museum, Tom Bowers and his signifigant other put a
display of early WWII cavalry, complete with two live Thoroughbreds. It
really compliments his 1941 CCKW. They set up an enclosure with a small
portable run-in shed, and it drew lots of attention.

I once in a while ride with the 2nd Maine Cavalry as their regimental
surgeon. I think that the WWII mounted soldier is important in the history,
and often overlooked in period displays. There were people of the mindset
during WWII that vehicles should be done away with. In the November 1944
Cavalry Journal, there was an article which basically stated that Normandy
would have gone much smoother with a Cavalry landing starting off things...
I agree. The dead horses would have provided excellent cover for moving
across the beach...