Paint or lube?

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 20:55:05 PDT

I'm sorry to be asking such a basic question. I have my hand brake
assembly apart ( M35 ) currently. This handle has a grip release, teeth on
the gear at the pivot point next to drivers seat, a 'set bit' which locks
into the gear teeth to set the brake.
I've removed the rust and layers of paint, and wondered what to put on the
metal on metal gear itself? I thought paint would peel off with use,
clogging the mechanism. But oil or WD-40 would attract dust and clog up
too. The metal frame is bent up, from a number of directions, so I will
want to replace it at some point. But that could be years from now if I
get it working properly so want to do it well this time. I also get the
feeling this question will come up many times as I move through the truck
and pumping apparatus.

Many thanks.

   Paul
   MVPA 24986